Get your game on at 2nd Friday’s ‘THINGAMEAJIG’
Mesa’s 2nd Friday art walk event isn’t playing around this March when it hosts what it is calling, “THINGAMEAJIG” – with emphasis on the “GAME.” It’s a seriously fun evening of entertainment that will give the community a unique opportunity to “eat, play and love.”
The THINGAMEAJIG will combine education with all sorts of gaming opportunities, from poker to 8-bit video games, set-up at venues all along historic downtown Mesa’s Main Street. In cooperation with HeatSync Labs, the Unnamed Association of Gamers (UAG), the Scottsdale Microsoft Store, downtown Mesa merchants and local colleges & universities, 2nd Friday has put together a “multifarious gaming event” that will be fun for the whole family.
The 2nd Friday art walk event takes place March 8, 2013, from 6:00 – 10:00 p.m. and it always offers live music, dining & drinks, amazing art and unique shopping opportunities – and admission is always free.
The featured activities for the MarchTHINGAMEAJIG will include:
- Arcades without Cabinets (Xbox Gaming) – at Gotham City Comics and Coffee
- Japanese Oddities (Xbox and PS3 gaming) – at Lulubell Toy Bodega
- 8 bits or bust (NES and SNES gaming) – at Lofi Coffee
- The Return of HeatSync Labs Vintage Gaming Night! (Atari, Colecovision and TRS80 gaming) – at Desert Eagle Brewery
- Tech Talks (6:30 – 9:30 p.m.) Gaming themed discussion panels at HeatSync Labs.
- 6:30 – “Is Entrepreneurship Relevant?” presented by Dr. Jeffrey Alves from the School of Business at Wilkes University
- 7:00 – “Flipped Classrooms” presented by Dr. Connie Greiner from Upper Iowa University
- 7:30 – “Design games YOU want to play” presented by Dr. Dan Falabella from Albright College
- 8:00 – “Reverse engineering and building the never released Atari 1400XL” by Corey Renner from Heatsync Labs
- 8:30 – “Creating 8 bit game art” by Chad Stearns from HeatSync Labs
- 9:00 – “Making HTML5 games easy with Frozen” by Luis Montes from @Iceddev
- Microsoft Store Mini-tournaments – Microsoft Store will host Xbox mini-tournaments for games Halo 4, Gears of War 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 and other random Xbox & Kinect games; prizes include Microsoft water bottles and other great swag. You can try out the newest games and check out the latest accessories, Xbox 360 & PC games and the Microsoft Surface tablet. Find them at the OneOhOne Gallery.
- Gaming Themed Artists & Vendors – Meet and greet some of the valley’s top gaming themed artisans, including the event’s poster artist, Anabel Martinez.
- Texas Hold ‘em Poker Tournament – The il Vinaio restaurant will be hosting a poker tournament starting at 7:00 p.m. Twenty-four players can enjoy the game and Happy Hour food & drink specials. There is no entry fee and prizes will be awarded to the winners. Arrive early to ensure a seat and costumed players are welcome.
- “Get in the Game” University Row – Learn about gaming themed educational opportunities from local colleges, including Albright College, Benedictine University Mesa, Upper Iowa University, Wilkes University, Westminster College, Mesa Community College, Chandler-Gilbert Community College and A.T. Still University. The colleges will be set-up on the NW corner of Main Street and Macdonald and will also include a Microsoft gaming tent.
- UAG Board & Card Game Room – The Unnamed Association of Gamers (UAG) will have over two dozen card and board games available for play at the Queen’s Pizzeria game room. Enjoy hours of family gaming fun with this enthusiastic gaming group.
- Gaming Themed Costume Contest – At 8:00 p.m. the OneOhOne Gallery will host a gaming themed costume contest with prizes donated by downtown Mesa merchants and event partners. Attendees are encouraged to come out dressed as their favorite game character, be it video or board game.
- University of Advancing Technology – The University of Advancing Technology will be in attendance with educational programming information, digital video demos and free UAT swag.